In July 2017 the ACT Government released DV344 and referred it to the Legislative Assembly Standing Committee on Planning and Urban Renewal for Inquiry.
DV344 provides for greater densification and 28 storey buildings without adequate sites for community facilities. The Woden Valley Community Council has significant concerns with the plan and recommended the following changes in its submission:
1. Densification (building heights should be lower and stated in metres)
2. Town Square – as the central activity point, retention of the current buildings on the perimeter for solar access in the cooler months;
3. East west spine – retention of solar access;
4. Agglomeration of activity in a central area – identification of sites so the area is not built out:
a. an entertainment precinct;
b. a higher education facility;
c. a community/arts centre;
d. a pool;
e. a multi-purpose sports hall;
5. Active living/ connectivity – identification of alignments for cycle paths;
6. Identification of open green spaces, including.
a. retention of Arabanoo Park as open space