The WVCC has undertaken the Melrose Drive mural as a community building exercise, to provide great art that can be enjoyed and valued by the community.
The design includes features of Woden and faces of residents that have contributed to the well being of our community. The mural is also designed to encourage discussion in the community and with the Woden Valley Community Council.
All residents are welcome to attend our public meetings which are held on the first Wednesday of each month.
The WVCC undertook an Expression of Interest process, and on the basis of the concept designs received, commissioned Mr Geoff Filmer of Graffik Paint to design and paint the mural.
The EOI for the mural included the following elements for design:
• The spirit of Woden welcoming all to the town centre
• Referencing the current diverse residents and their background
• The extensive past and more recent history and activities in the area
• Celebrating distinctive features and referencing other significant landmarks, memorials, artworks and the environment of the surrounding area
• Display advanced technical skill
• Be full of colour and be a point of interest
• Deter tagging and therefore cover the whole wall
Mr Filmer’s concept design included faces, so the WVCC decided they should be local faces.
A Request for Nominations was issued for the community to nominate Woden’s ‘local heroes’.