The next Woden Valley Community Council meeting will be held at 7pm on Wednesday 3 July 2019 at the Woden Southern Cross Club. Minister Stephen-Smith will discuss urban renewal and the former CIT site, the Planning Directorate will present the findings of the O’Malley traffic modelling study and there will be a presentation on the ACT Government’s Indoor Sports Report.
The intended release of the O’Malley corner block, Kareelah Vista and Numeralla St, remains on hold while and investigation is undertaken into traffic and parking impacts. The new traffic assessment will be presented at the meeting and can be found at https://www.planning.act.gov.
Woden is an ideal location for locating facilities as it is centrally located and on the north south and east west public transport alignment making it accessible to communities across Canberra.
Unfortunately the ACT Government’s Indoor Sports Repots finds:
· Basketball ACT – explore more basketball facilities in Belconnen.
· Capital Football – the ‘Home of Football’ has been funded in Throsby
· Gymnastics ACT – a new State Training Centre in Belconnen
The Woden Town Centre has been identified for higher density living. A CIT and an indoor sports stadium would replace the facilities that have been closed and contribute to creating a contemporary urban precinct that will promote physical health, improve mental health, grow personal development, strengthen our communities and grow the economy in Canberra’s south.
Locating facilities in the town centres provides wider economic benefits by bringing people together which reduces social isolation and supports the objective of liveable cities.
The Woden Town Centre services multiple districts and we encourage residents from the south to come along and participate in conversations about the issues facing the Town Centre.
For further information go to williamsonau.org and follow the WVCC on Facebook and Instagram.
- 7pm Welcome and Apologies
- Record of previous meetings
- Chair’s Report
- ACT Government Indoor Sports report
- 5 minute update from MLAs
- Former CIT site and urban renewal – Minister Stephen-Smith
- O’Malley community facilities block and the traffic study – Ms Kathy Cusack EPSSD
- ACT Government Indoor Sports Report – Ms Fiona Carrick
- Panel discussion of planning and urban renewal
- Other business
Next meeting of the WVCC — 7pm — Wednesday 7 August 2019